A Little Extra for Uncle Sam?

Flag photo by jnn1776 http://bit.ly/Larooo

If you feel like you didn’t pay enough taxes this year, you can donate to the federal government right here in Hyattsville.

The Department of the Treasury established a fund in 1843 to accept donations, such as bequests in wills, from “individuals wishing to express their patriotism.”

You don’t have much say in how the money is used. All donations are considered “an unconditional gift to the government.”

“Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs,” explains the Treasury website.

In case you’re interested, the address for all Americans to send these gifts is the Credit Accounting Branch of the Treasury at 3700 East-West Highway, near the Prince George’s Plaza Metro stop.

This entry was posted in Hyattsville and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A Little Extra for Uncle Sam?

  1. Jim Groves says:

    Large, unmarked bills ok?

  2. Mylah Garlington says:

    Oh, darn. I wish I could, but my patriotism reaches maximum affordable expression in the lines between gross and net on my paystub.

Comments are closed.